A BIT ABOUT REFLEXOLOGY…
The feet have been seen as a gateway to healing the body for centuries in many areas of the globe and evidence of the therapeutic treatment of the feet has been found from as far back as 3000BC. The philosophy behind reflexology, as in many complementary therapies, is that illness is a result of blockages or restrictions in the flow of essential energy, otherwise known as chi or prana, around the body. These blockages can be caused by stress, upset, lifestyle and injury, causing a state of imbalance which can manifest as disorders, discomfort or disease.
The body however does have a tremendous ability to heal itself. By stimulating the reflexes on the feet, reflexology treatment helps the body to release these blockages and trigger healing responses thus improving overall well-being.
Since reflexology treats the whole person, not simply the symptoms of disease, most people benefit from treatment. The therapy can bring relief to a wide range of acute and chronic conditions, and is suitable for all ages. There is no claim to cure as it is ultimately the client that heals him or herself. However, reflexology has a history of good results in treating many conditions and there is a growing body of research to evidence this.
WHY HAVING REGULAR REFLEXOLOGY TREATMENTS IS IMPORTANT:
People sometimes ask, if they are not unwell why would having reflexology be beneficial? The simple answer is prevention is better than cure! Modern life, especially in busy cities can take its toll on our health.
Do any of these apply to you?
- Your work is demanding or stressful or has long hours (or any combination)
- You care for family members, whether children, elderly or sick relatives
- You are training for a sports event or physical challenge
- You don’t get a lot of down time
- You find it hard to relax
- You carry a lot of responsibility
- You feel like you never have enough time or are always in a rush
- You often feel tired or overwhelmed
All the statements listed above are factors that can deplete your system and take a toll on your health. If you recognise one or more of the above as true for you, then having regular reflexology could help you to prevent health problems developing.
When we ask a lot of ourselves, we need to make sure we have the resources to keep on delivering. Just as you may have other regular things in place to look after your health such as exercise, taking vitamins or eating your 5-a-day, having a regular reflexology treatment can help keep you in good health to get on with what you love.
Waiting until you have a diagnosed health problem is more costly and time consuming and can have negative impact on many areas of your life:
- may affect your performance at work and home
- may require you take time off
- may prevent you from pursuing your hobbies
- may require medical intervention
- may lead to other health problems
How reflexology can help:
Reflexology is a whole body treatment and can act as a mini-MOT to keep all your systems in balance. It is an opportunity to stop and recharge your batteries.
- There are many benefits:
- Promotes deep relaxation and better quality sleep
- Counteract the effects of stress
- Keep hormones in balance
- Promote healthy digestion and elimination
- Support your immune system
- Relieve aches and pains
- Improves overall energy
- Feel more able to cope with life
As I specialise in Fertility Reflexology I will target women with fertility issues. In order to address fertility health, a reflexology therapist will work through the reflexology points specific to the client’s area(s) of health concern, such as the:
- Lymphatic system
- Immune system
- Circulatory system
- Neurological system (stress, anxiety, depression)
- Endocrine system (hormone balance)
- Liver (toxin release, hormone balance)
Reflexology works best when the client also ensures healthy lifestyle habits are in place. These include but are not limited to diet, exercise, relaxation, and work/life balance. No two reflexology treatments are the same for each session because the chosen points address the needs of the client on that particular day. Tailored treatment each session helps to ensure greater outcome.